Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Musical Influences of a Lifetime Part 2

Today I share with you my musical influences.  Yes, I have shared some previously.  Yet, of those, I have never shared the albums that molded my upbringing and my tastes.  Part 1 Michael shared his journey.  As I read through those albums I remembered many albums that I hadn't thought of for many years.  Some of those albums were from artists that Michael selected, and others from the few artists he only mentioned.  For me, there are to many albums to select from (Michael had the same problem when asked to guest write), but I will indeed present the top 5 most influential albums of my lifetime (up to recent).  Without further ado, here they are.  Enjoy.

WARNING: This list, and any artist/band in list does not mean anything other than that of an influence.  I can not confirm the quality of artistry of said album(s) or artist(s).  One or two selections might have been great selections during their days on the charts but does not mean...or might not mean the inclusion in list speaks of any longevity.  NO MOCKING!  You have been warned!

HONORABLE MENTION: Because some of these are to good to not mention but had to be cut.
To Hell With the Devil - Stryper - Video for "Honestly"
Atomic Arena - Barren Cross - Video for "Imaginary Music"
Sigh No More - Mumford and Sons - Video for "Roll Away Your Stone"
Upbeats and Beatdowns - Five Iron Frenzy - Video to "The Flowery Song"

And now the Countdown:

5. Can't Slow Down - Lionel Richie
Released in 1983, Lionel was topping the charts of the Top 40 world well into 1984 with several singles on this album.  With the few stations my parents listened to, he seemed to be on most of them.  Sometime during early 1984 I received a gift certificate to a music store in my hometown.  I was excited!  I was given an opportunity to get my own music.  When my parents took me to go purchase the music of my choice, the only words of wisdom my father provided me were, "I don't care what you get, just make sure the lyrics are clean and it is something you want."  Not wanting to be to rebellious (yet), Lionel found his place in my musical collection.  "Hello" was the hit of the album.  The song hit #1 on Billboard for a few weeks, had a video and one unforgettable line, "Hello! Is it me you're looking for?"  Sure, I had heard the other hit song called, "All Night Long (All Night)," but it was the piano and the guitar solo of "Hello" that hooked me.  I played that album (tape if not mistaken) frequently.  Being this was my first ever album I bought, I didn't really know the impact it would have on my musical adventures.  It was also the album that I learned I would never have problems with my parents telling me I couldn't listen to something as long as the lyrics weren't horribly perverse or vulgar.

4. Beat The System - Petra
This album was another first for me.   Released in 1985, if featured the radio single "Hollow Eyes" which somehow received airplay on the Christian radio station in Seattle.  A station that regularly played Amy Grant, Philip Bailey, 2nd Chapter of Acts and Sandi Patty, this single sounded nothing like the piano driven music of the above mentioned artists.  I sounded more like rock music!  Late that year, my parents took me to the Christian music bookstore to buy some music.  Not only did I find this album and buy it, but I scored it in CD version.  Yes, aging myself just a bit, this was during the huge transformation from vinyl to CD.  Sure, tapes were still big, but this was a CD and I had to keep up with technology, especially since we had just gotten a CD player for me to have in my room.  Once I began playing the CD I discovered the greatness of Petra.  Imagine going from the adult contemporary sounds I usually heard to the synth heavy rock of songs like "Computer Brains,"  "Witch Hunt," and "God Gave Rock and Roll to You."  My musical tastes were not only opened, but suddenly changing to a harder and slightly more rock sound.  And, the change didn't end here.

3. Sons of Thunder - Sleeping Giant
My tastes in music have always been vast.  I have always listened to harder music and loved it.  From 80's hair bands to 90's grunge, Seattle had some of the best music available in the late 80's and early 90's.  Bloodgood, MXPX, Pearl Jam and Nirvana all called Seattle and the area home.  But it wasn't until this 2009 album that I really found the one hardcore album that influenced my love of hard music.  Actually, it was seeing these guys live for the first time that led me to purchasing this album.  Not only were they a hardcore band, they were a worship band.  Sure, the title track was good. Yes, the songs are really deep lyrically.  "No One Leave This Room Sick" killed it and spoke of healing available for anybody.  Yet the one that got me, and when seen them playing it live with White Collar Sideshow, was "He Will Reign."  This song alone took 200 plus hardcore kids from a very large mash pit into instantly worshiping God in reverence.  Yeah, a sight to see.  Even better, this album (CD) still receives heavy rotation in my truck, as does the follow up album "Kingdom Days in an Evil Age."

2. Jesus Freak - DC Talk
So many lists will feature this album.  If you are in the Christian music industry, you know this album.  Many of today's artists were influenced by this album.  This album very well could be the most talked about album ever for those who love Christian music.  And, the title track is the one song that might have changed the face of not just the band, but also Contemporary Christian Music and the CCM radio format.  My love for these guys began in 1989 with the song, "He Loves Me" and the soulful sounds of Michael Tait.  Their sound continued to grow on me with 1990' Nu Thang and 1992's Free At Last.  But, their sound changed forever in 1995 with this album.  Instead of mostly rap with some rock, they were now mostly rock with some rap sprinkled into some of the songs.  The change was awesome!  "Colored People" addressed the beautiful difference, and yet the similarity of the human race, how messed up we as a society are, and learn to accept the differences in each race, forgiving where needed, and loving no matter the difference.  "What if I Stumble" shared their fear of what others thought if there were a time one of them were found out to not be perfect (and how it would affect everyone involved in their lives and/or fans).  Finally, after all the hits, it was their cover of Charlie Peacock's  "In The Light" that became my favorite on this album.  This was a song of admission of failure and a need to have a Savior, and a plea to live as Christ wants us to live.  Yes, this album gets rotation in my truck as the CD has found a home there.

1. I Predict 1990 - Steve Taylor
Had you asked me in 1985 who Mr. Taylor was, I would have given you a blank stare.  One Sunday night in 1987, a visiting youth pastor asked if I wanted to go to a video screening of some song by some guy named Steve Taylor.  Thankfully, my parents agreed to let me take the trip to North Seattle for the screening.  Little did I know that, "Jim Morrison's Grave" would change my world.  That night I learned not only about the song, but I learned about a man and the brilliance of his art.  So, after the screening and a few days later, I made my way to the Christian bookstore and bought the tape of I Predict 1990.  Little did I know, but my local bookstore was one of the few stores that actually carried the album due to the controversy of the album art.  Controversy aside, the music was phenomenal!  From the first song, "I Blew Up the Clinic Real Good" to the final song, "Harder To Believe Than Not To," every song I heard had meaning.  Sure, many of the songs (along with the album cover) were satirical in nature, but they were speaking truth in how unconventional the Christian thinking was of the day (and at times, still is in my opinion).  "What Is The Measure of Your Success" addresses the perception of success and leads into "Since I Gave Up Hope I Feel A Lot Better."  From perceived success, to the pursuit of said success, boiled down to just giving up hope, no matter how successful you are.  From satire to the serious tones of "Principled Man" this album gained a place on my permanent rotation.  Yes, to this day I still pull up Spotify and give this album a spin.

There you have it.  The albums that have shaped my musical tastes.  Yes, they are vast and heavily 80's influenced (yup, aging myself again).  Amazingly, the longevity of these artists is amazing and somewhat remarkable.  From movies (Steve Taylor and Lionel Richie) to solo careers (all of DCTalk).  From college speaking gigs (Tommy Green of Sleeping Giant) to college professor (Steve Taylor).  Be it a band being rumored to be reuniting (DCTalk), having reunited (Petra), to a band still in its prime (Sleeping Giant) or an artist still going strong (Lionel Richie) or someone who sings that put a band together for a return to touring (Steve Taylor), nothing can change how these albums have influenced me, nor can anything replace them on this list.  If you heeded my warning at the beginning, you are not mocking these selections (well, maybe a little as I am a little on a couple of them), but you made it through the list.  Hopefully, you have discovered some new (or older) music which I can only wish you will like.  Enjoy the links.

No comments:

Post a Comment