Sunday, October 19, 2014

Worship - When, Where, or is it?

A couple weeks ago I challenged some friends to tell me what worship was.  The responses I got were great.  Mind you, I was a little bummed that I didn't get some of the answers I was expecting and some people I didn't expect to respond did.  I guess, that is just the cynical side of me desiring some confrontation (only for the sake of discussion) from some and that is probably not good.  Oh well.

So, after some much needed and necessary thought, discussing it with a couple people, I decided I should probably get a few things off my chest.  What better way to do that than to write.  Besides, I haven't posted a blog lately, and writing is something I need to do more of.  I also need to exercise more, eat more fruits and vegetables and a few other things, but that is not the meaning of this blog. No, worship is why I write.

Before I get to far into the blog, what is worship?  Where should we worship?  How should we worship?  Most importantly, when should we worship?  Believe me when I say, there are some really good opinions, but then there is also the right answers.  Somethings here may blow your mind, because when presented to me, they blew my mind.  So, here goes.

How many of us were taught to take our hats off when in the church?  I know I was.  Raised in a very conservative church that was admittedly more conservative than the denomination itself, I took my hat off the second I entered the door (not that I wore a hat that often).  But the Bible doesn't mention anything about hats, does it?  Well, not exactly.  At least in the manner of whether to wear it in a building, despite the courtesy of keeping it off while indoors.  What the Bible does say in 1 Corinthians is that man should not cover his head when worshiping God.  I guess then that removing my hat when in a sanctuary, or during prayer (organized or personal time), or during the worship music at church is indeed necessary.

As for where and when to worship, Romans 12:1-2, Hebrews 12:28-29 and 1 Timothy 2:1-3 all state what worship is.  I add that worship is an anything item, anyplace time.  Additionally, we are to pray as our worship, pray all the time and pray with all we have.  We are to honor God with all we do - be it driving, work, school, sports, home, etc.  Well, who can say they are giving everything to God and doing so in an honorable way?  Yeah, me neither.

My next question is, does your worship focus only around music?  Are you focusing your worship time as being only at church?  Either way, according to scripture, we are doing it wrong.  I think we have done things an injustice to the word and following as the word says.

So, please do yourself a favor.  When you discuss worship, think about all of what worship is, not just what you think it is.

In my next post, I might just ask about when your day of rest is.

No comments:

Post a Comment